I lost my faith in the LDS church on 02/06/2015. In 2019 I decided to start doing a “State of the Apostasy”, which serves as kind of a yearly review and where I lay out my goals for the next year. Its been interesting being able to see how my life has changed every year.
This is the 6th year since I left the LDS church. Here’s some of the noteworthy things I’ve done over the last year:
- Got married to my wife
- Moved in with my dying mother-in-law
- Watched the world crumble in a pandemic
- Quit my job to avoid the pandemic and help take care of my mother-in-law
- Helped my mother-in-law pass away from pancreatic cancer
- Inherited a house
- Went to the Oregon Coast for the first time
- Moved my old roommates (who were our best man and maid of honor and who are dating) into our new house as roommates.
- Started the r/UniversalMormonChurch experiment
- Got to know people from Community of Christ and the Fellowship of the Remnant
- Felt like I had to publicly hide that I am bisexual for the first time in the days leading up to the presidential election
- After getting to know the folks, doctrine, and direction of Community of Christ, I decided that I wanted to formally join them.
- Watched a coup live
- I got a new kickass job
- Invested in stonks for the first time
Overall I did most of what I wanted to do this year (pandemic permitting). Here are some things that I’d like to do in the next year:
- Get vaccinated
- Go to Independence, MO with my sister to see the temple
- Go see my other sister who lives on the east coast
- Work with a couple of folks to continue developing my new version of the BoM
- Re-landscape my backyard to include a fire pit and gardening area
- Take off all of the 80’s wallpaper in my house and paint my walls
- Go to the Oregon coast again
- Spend more time with my grandparents once they get vaccinated
- Start the Harmony newsletter again Harmony is the LGBT advocacy group for Community of Christ, and the newsletter has existed off and on since the mid 1980s.
- Get a CoC apostle or member of the first presidency to do an AMA here
- Help my business expand
- Watch $GME go to the moon (hopefully… Diamond hands!)
Here’s to a good year!